What are the Symptoms of West Nile Virus?
About 80% of people infected with WNV will not show any symptoms whatsoever.
Mild Symptoms or signs of infection
About 20% of WNV infected people have the following (usually) temporary symptoms:
- Fever and hot and cold flashes
- Headaches that are manageable and don’t linger more than a day or two.
- Aches and body, pains and/or stiffness
- Sometimes a skin rash that can appear on your chest, arms or elsewhere. These rashes can come and go on their own.
- Lymph glands either in your neck area or under your armpit can swell or show up as hard bumps.
- Eye pain or sensitivity to light or even sensitivity to sounds
NOTE: Not infrequently WNV might be mistaken for a case of the flu or food poisoning. If conditions worsen you should see a Doctor regardless.
Skin Rashes are a symptom of West Nile Virus infection
More Serious Symptoms and Signs of Infection
About 1% of people infected with WNV have the infection turn into a more serious neurological infection or disease with heavier, more pronounced symptoms such as:
- High Fever
- Severe headaches (you might rate it a 8 out of 10, or even a 10 out of 10)
- Stiff Neck
- Disorientation in both your balance and/or not knowing what’s happening around you. You can appear and/or be confused- in rare cases you can fall into a stupor or coma
- Tremors or muscles jerking
- Extreme Pain
- Partial paralysis or sudden overwhelming weakness or tiredness.
Other Serious Conditions That Can Develop as A Result of WNV
- Encephalitis: inflammation of the brain
- Meningoencephatis : inflammation of the brain and surrounding membranes
- Meningitis. Serious infection may also include infection and inflammation of the membranes surrounding the brain and the spinal cord
- West Nile poliomyelitis: inflammation of the spinal cord and acute flaccid paralysis. A sudden weakness in your arms, legs or breathing muscles.
Encephalitis can be a serious effect of West Nile Virus
If you have these symptoms you should see a doctor sooner than later to nip in the bud what infections you can by acting quickly.